Thursday, April 02, 2020

Former Obama Official: Trump Ignored The 'Pandemic Playbook' We Created | NowThis



I've been linking a lot to my old high school teammate Jeremy Konyndyk lately: Here, here, here and here.  (We were on the swim team and the forensics team together back in high school.)  And in fact, he's been in the news a lot lately, even more than I've been linking to.  (Many more appearances on TV and in the papers that I haven't even had time to link to.)  But I thought this video was particularly powerful.  I think I would want to share it even if I didn't know who Jeremy is.

1 comment:

Whisky Prajer said...

Lots to mull over, here. The obvious point -- if your only agenda is to dismantle EVERYTHING your predecessor put in place, you will shoot yourself in the foot, or someplace worse -- hardly needs saying. And yet it's something the GOP hews to (I'm thinking now of Reagan taking down the solar panels that Carter had installed on the White House roof), and nobody more studiously than 45.

So shit-canning the entire pandemic response panel seems, in hindsight, spectacularly stupid. But here we are in Canada, with universal health care from coast to coast to coast, and our pandemic response has been not much faster or better than what we're witnessing south of 49. It's one thing to say, "If only they'd followed the document." But I know our government's Ministry of Health has similar documents updated every year, and we were caught just as flat-footed -- probably because those documents, as helpful as they strive to be, require massive expenditure and reallocation of resources that democratic governments are loath to commit to before it truly is an emergency. 'Cos we need to keep the economy strong, etc.