Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Telling the Time: PowerPoint and Quizlet

(TESOL Worksheets--Vocabulary)
The textbook for one of my classes required the students to learn the various phrases "quarter past", "half past", and "quarter to" when telling the time.  Initially, I tried to just quickly go over this, but it soon became apparent that my students were not understanding the various distinctions, and more drilling was necessary.   So, I designed this PowerPoint to pedantically go over every possible instance of "quarter past", "half past" and "quarter to".  It was boring, but at least they got it by the end of it.
I also designed a quizlet quiz to practice this further. (I've been using a lot of quizlet since a colleague recommended it to me a few months back.) This was assigned to the students to do as homework, but we also did some of the games in class.   The learn function on the quizlet randomizes the vocabulary, so I used this to do a "race to the board and write the correct answer" game.
PowerPoint on Google: Docs, Slides, Pub.
Quizlet game is: https://quizlet.com/_1ys8h7

No comments: