Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

(Graded Reader)

Another Dr. Seuss book that I've used in the TESOL classroom.
Many of the same comments I made in my previous post (on The Cat in the Hat) are true here as well.  Although this book was not originally designed specifically for TESOL, it's simple sentences make it ideal for TESOL.

And the repetition also make it ideal for TESOL.  By the end of reading this book, I was fairly sure my low-level students understand "Will you...?" and "will not" even though we haven't we studied those structures in the textbook.

As with The Cat in the Hat, this book was also another staple of my childhood.  I never really liked it as a kid (too much repetition, too little pay off for the plot).  But as an adult, I get sucked into the rhythmical quality of Dr. Seuss's language a lot more.

Because the animated short follows the book pretty much verbatim, I also showed this to my students also we had read the book together--link on Youtube here.

The book is available on amazon here.



Here are some supplementary teaching materials I made when teaching this book in my classes.  These materials don't really work too well independently of the actual book, so you'll need to get a copy of the book to use these.

PowerPoint: (driveslidespub)--Update, version in which the text does not come up on delayed animation: slidespub

Worksheet: (drivedocspub)

Link of the Day
Noam Chomsky What is Special About Language

(TESOL Materials--Storybooks ESL Listening)

Youtube Video: HERE
Vocabulary Slides: slides, pub


No comments: