Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Self-Introduction Speaking Activities

(TESOL Worksheets--Speaking)
This was designed for a group of elementary adult students, who needed to be able to give a self-introduction in English for their end-of-term speaking test.  But I think it can be used as an all-purpose speaking activity, so I'm posting it here.
I'm sure there are a million and one self-introduction lessons in TESOL already out there, so I'm probably just needlessly re-inventing the wheel here.  But sometimes it's easier just to design your own material than to spend 2 hours hunting for exactly the perfect lesson.  This PowerPoint presentation is designed to highlight exactly the points I wanted to highlight.
I've allowed my own prescriptivist bias to creep in at one point during the PowerPoint Presentation, when I emphasize to students that sleeping in not a hobby.
This used to be a  common answer when I taught in Japan--Japanese students would often answer that their hobby was sleeping. It never really sounded right to me, but I suppose you could make the case that sleeping was a hobby.
Under the hobbies section and under the interests section I've included some vocabulary.  The PowerPoint is set up so the students have an opportunity to guess the vocabulary before the word appears.  These sections can be repeated a couple times to consolidate this vocabulary.
The PowerPoint is on Google here (drive, slide, pub) and the worksheet is on Google Here (drive, docs, pub).






What is your name?


How old are you?


Where are you from?


What is your job? / What are you studying?


What are your hobbies?


What are you interested in?


How many people do you have in your family?  Who are they?




No comments: