Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Speaking Activity: School Subjects

(TESOL Worksheets--speaking, vocabulary)
A colleague recently introduced me to the book Discussions A-Z (A).  It contains a number of useful speaking ideas to supplement my lessons with.

This lesson on school subjects is based on an activity from the book.  Some of the questions are taken directly from the book, others are paraphrased, and others are merely inspired from the book.
However, I think I've modified this enough that I can at least partially claim this lesson as my own.

The beginning half of the PowerPoint presentation is designed to teach vocabulary relating to school subjects.  The animation is set up so that the students have a chance to guess the word before it appears.  In cases where further explanation is needed, I give it orally in the class.  Then I repeat the school subjects PowerPoint presentation a couple times to consolidate the vocabulary before moving on to the discussion questions.
After teaching the school subjects, I give the students a sheet of paper with the subjects written on them for their own reference during the discussion questions.

PowerPoint Presentation on Google here (Drive, Slides, Pub) and Worksheet on Google here (Drive, Docs, Pub).





School Subjects



art
art history
astronomy
biology
chemistry
computer science
economics
foreign languages
Latin
law
literature
geography
history
home economics
mathematics
music
philosophy
physics
physical education
political science
psychology
religion
sociology
writing

No comments: