Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Adjectives (and 3 noun phrases) to Describe Personality: Various activities

(TESOL Worksheets--Adjectives)
[This activity takes place in several parts.  The first part is a listening activity. The teacher reads from a script, and the students fill in the gaps with the words the teacher reads.  Google here (drive, docs, pub).
Next is a game of karuta (the Japanese Grab the Card Game).  The teacher reads from the script, and the students in pairs or small groups compete to grab the card first.  Google here (drive, docs, pub).
The second part is a "find someone who" game.  The students choose three phrases to describe their own personality, and then have to try to find someone who matches the various descriptions.  Google Here (drive, docs, pub).
These activities were both designed to supplement a lesson from Lifestyles Pre-Intermediate textbook, and so all of the words and phrases reflect the ones that were being taught in that lesson.  I think it can work independently, so I'm posting it here.  I'm classifying this as an "adjective" activity in my index, but it actually includes 3 noun phrases.  However, I think this still works as an adjective activity if you just make the students aware that 3 of the phrases are actually nouns.  Or alternatively, it could be just edited to delete the noun phrases.
Also included in this post are 3 activities that come directly from the Lifestyle Pre-Intermediate Textbook, but which I re-wrote for formatting reasons.  The first one is a PowerPoint where the students have to say which opposites are formed using the prefixes un-, in-, im-, and dis-, and are then given feedback on the PowerPoint.  Google Here (drive, slides, pub). Next is a ranking activity in which the students rank the qualities most important for a boss.  (I re-typed this onto Microsoft Word from the textbook so the qualities could be cut into cards and physically arranged on the grid to indicate which was the most to least important.) Google Here (drive, docs, pub).  Finally is a brainstorming activity to describe the ideal qualities in an ideal husband, wife, and teacher.  Google Here (drive, docs, pub).]

Listen to your teacher describe himself, and match the words to the blanks.
reliable, fair, intelligent, tidy, patient, good listener, experienced, honest             , strong technical skills, helpful, efficient, loyal, polite, well-educated, generous, tolerant, good sense of humour

                                                                                           All About Me
        Let me tell you a little bit about myself.  Let me see…Well, I’m incredibly (1)____________.  I mean, I’m very good at solving problems and figuring things out.  And I’m very (2) ____________.  I’ve read tons of books on all sorts of subjects.  And, I’m very (3)____________.  I’ve done so many different things in my life.  And I’ve got a (4) ____________.  I’m always making people laugh.  Oh, I’m incredibly (5) ____________.  I never get angry with other people. And I’m very (6) ____________.  Even if I don’t agree with someone, I let them say their opinion.  I have (7) ____________.  I’m very good with computers.  I’m a (8) ____________.  I always listen carefully to what my friends have to tell me.  I’m very (9) ____________.  You can always trust me to do what I say I will do.  And I’m the most (10)____________  person I know.  I’ve never told a lie.  I’m very (11)____________.  I always support my friends and colleagues.  I’m extremely (12) ____________.  I never say rude things to other people.  I’m very (13) ____________.  I always keep my room very clean.  And I’m extremely (14) ____________.  I give lots of money to the poor and needy.  I’m very (15) ____________.  I always get all my work done quickly.  And I’m (16)____________.  I treat every one equally.  And I’m very (17) ____________.  I help every one with their problems.  And last, but not least, I’m incredibly humble.  I’m probably the humblest person I know.
Teacher’s Script
        Let me tell you a little bit about myself.  Let me see…Well, I’m incredibly (1)intelligent.  I mean, I’m very good at solving problems and figuring things out.  And I’m very (2)well-educated.  I’ve read tons of books on all sorts of subjects.  And, I’m very (3)experienced.  I’ve done so many different things in my life.  And I’ve got a (4)good sense of humour.  I’m always making people laugh.  Oh, I’m incredibly (5)patient.  I never get angry with other people. And I’m very (6)tolerant.  Even if I don’t agree with someone, I let them say their opinion.  I have (7)strong technical skills.  I’m very good with computers.  I’m a (8)good listener.  I always listen carefully to what my friends have to tell me.  I’m very (9)reliable.  You can always trust me to do what I say I will do.  And I’m the most (10)honest  person I know.  I’ve never told a lie.  I’m very (11)loyal.  I always support my friends and colleagues.  I’m extremely (12) polite.  I never say rude things to other people.  I’m very (13) tidy.  I always keep my room very clean.  And I’m extremely (14) generous.  I give lots of money to the poor and needy.  I’m very (15)efficient.  I always get all my work done quickly.  And I’m (16) fair.  I treat every one equally.  And I’m very (17)helpful.  I help every one with their problems.  And last, but not least, I’m incredibly humble.  I’m probably the humblest person I know.




reliable
fair
intelligent
tidy
patient
good listener
experienced
honest
strong technical skills
helpful
efficient
loyal
polite
well-educated
generous
tolerant
good sense of humour
optimistic
energetic
determined
innovative
motivated






This means you can trust someone to do what you want them to do (reliable)

the quality of being able to stay calm and not get angry, especially when something takes a long time (patient)

giving a lot of money, presents or help to other people (generous)

working well and not wasting time or energy (efficient)

using new methods or ideas (innovative)

to have a reason for wanting to do something (motivated)

wanting to do something very much, and not letting anyone stop you (determined)

someone who is always willing to help (helpful)

always believing that good things will happen (optimistic)

always supporting your friends, colleagues, et cetera (loyal)

Someone who is very good with computers (strong technical skills)

having lots of energy (energetic)

someone who is sincere and always tells the truth (honest)

Someone who has learned a lot at school or university and has a good level of knowledge (well-educated)

letting other people do or say what they want, even if you don’t like it (tolerant)

to be very good at giving attention to someone in order to hear and understand them (good listener)

behaving in a way that is not rude and shows that you do not only think about yourself (polite)

liking to keep things in the correct place and arranged in a good order (tidy)

the ability to understand funny things and to be funny yourself (good sense of humour)

having skill and knowledge because you have done something many times (experienced)

able to learn and understand things easily (intelligent)

someone who treats everyone in the same way, so that no one has an advantage (fair)






Choose three words*  to describe your personality.  (*”sense of humour”, “good listener” and “strong technical skills” are actually noun phrases, but you can use them to describe your personality for this activity)
reliable, fair, intelligent, tidy, patient, good listener, experienced, honest             , strong technical skills, helpful, efficient, loyal, polite, well-educated, generous, tolerant, good sense of humour, optimistic, energetic, determined, innovative, motivated

My personality is: ___________________
Find someone who:
Find someone who is reliable: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is fair: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is intelligent: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is tidy: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is patient: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is a good listener: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is experienced: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is honest: _______________________________________________

Find someone who has strong technical skills: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is helpful: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is efficient: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is loyal: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is polite: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is well-educated: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is generous: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is tolerant: _______________________________________________

Find someone who has a good sense of humour: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is optimistic: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is energetic: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is determined: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is innovative: _______________________________________________

Find someone who is motivated: _______________________________________________







expert in their field
good communicator
honest
energetic and hard working
patient
well-educated
good sense of humour
intelligent
efficient
generous




The most important quality in a boss.
The 2nd most important quality in a boss.
The 3rd most important quality in a boss.
The 4th most important quality in a boss.
The 5th most important quality in a boss.
The 6th most important quality in a boss.
The 7th most important quality in a boss.
The 8th most important quality in a boss.
The 9th most important quality in a boss.
The least important quality in a boss.






What are the most important qualities in a wife?



















What are the most important qualities in a husband?






















What are the most important qualities in a teacher?








                                 










What are the most important qualities in a teacher?








                                 










No comments: