Saturday, March 14, 2015

...and while I'm writing obituaries here, I suppose that the fact that I didn't say anything on Leonard Nimoy's passing is a bit of an omission for someone who was - so - obsessed with Star Trek in my youth.  (I'm not in that obsessive state anymore, but nostalgia for the obsessions of our youth if nothing else should cause me to write down a few words.)

Whisky Prajer writes on the subject very eloquently, so I'll just link to his work rather than attempt to duplicate my own:
Leonard Nimoy: 1931-2015
and Harrison Ford Shines Light on Leonard Nimoy.

It is probably an unhealthy cultural obsession to eulogize actors into heroes.  (As Whisky writes: "It's curious to grieve a man who played a beloved role.)  And yet, it appears from all the stories coming out about Leonard Nimoy that he really was a decent man in real life.  For example, I've been learning from all the obituaries out there that Leonard Nimoy was a celebrity speaker at many anti-war rallies during the Vietnam War, and supported McGovern in 1972

No comments: