Friday, June 09, 2023

Okay, I guess it's time to tap the sign again.  "Death is a poor way of getting rid of one's enemy"



Look, I don't like Pat Robertson any more than the next guy.  (See my old posts HERE , HERE and HERE).
But... it doesn't make any sense to view it as a victory when he dies.

To my mind, the only way this would work as a victory (or even as a jeer), would be if the person jeering at Pat Robertson was somehow immune from death themselves.
Like, "Alright! Awesome.  Pat Robertson's dead at 93 years old! I guess we've won today.  Because he lived out his full natural lifespan and then died. But I will never have to die.  So who's laughing now, Pat Robertson?"

(I think part of what's going on here is that most of us are, on some subconscious level, in denial about our own mortality.  So we tend to view death as "something that only happens to other people" and thus something that can safely be jeered at.)

Reference once again the Charles James Fox quote: "Death is a poor way of getting rid of one's enemy"

*Sigh*  Twitter's going to be just awful when Kissinger finally dies, isn't it?  I'll probably have to come back to tap the sign again at that time.  Until next time...

2 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

Natural causes, baby — and mark my words, that's how Kissenger will go, too.

Joel Swagman said...

I wouldn't bet against you.