Sunday, April 30, 2023

"I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight" and "Do You Know Where You're Going To" for Noun Clauses

(TESOL Materials--Using Songs to Teach Grammar, Noun Clauses)

For a recent lesson on noun clauses, I used the songs "I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight" by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart (W) and "Do You Know Where You're Going To" by Diana Ross (W).
I didn't end up making any worksheets for these songs.  I just played the clips from Youtube, and then asked my students what were the questions (indirect questions) that the singers were asking.  I did this as kind of a micro-listening.  I played the key parts of the songs several times until my students were able to accurately reconstruct the sentences.  Then I wrote the sentences up on the board.  Then we looked at the grammar.
There are numerous versions of both songs on Youtube.  But I used the videos HERE, HERE and HERE.  (Given how Youtube videos are always appearing and disappearing, probably in 5 years all of these videos will have been taken down, and you'll have to do a new Youtube search to find different copies of these songs.)



No comments: