Saturday, December 18, 2021

George Harrison - My Sweet Lord (Official Music Video)


The algorithm popped this video up on my Youtube page.  It looks like they've just made a new music video for My Sweet Lord.  
I'm not sure if the new video really adds anything to this song.  But it reminded me of how much I love this song.  It's so instantly catchy.  
So add this to my "Sharing Music I Live" project.

************************************
I remember first hearing this song on the oldies radio when I was a kid.  (This was back in the days when oldies radio was still around.)  I knew it was a religious song, but I assumed it was about the Christian God.  (I never listened too deeply to it, and besides, I didn't know what "Hare Krishna" was back then.)
It wasn't until my 11th grade religion class, when I was studying comparative religions at Grand Rapids Christian High School, and our  teacher talked about this song during the unit on Indian religion, that I realized that it was about Hare Krishna.  Since we were in a Christian school environment, that meant that this song was being presented as heretical, but that only increased the fascination factor.  The fascination was also increased by the fact that it was also a timepiece, linked to that brief moment in time when Hare Krishna became fashionable in the West.  (I'm a history nut, so I go in for songs that are linked to particular historical trends.)
So starting from then, I began to take a new notice about this song whenever it came on the radio.
I also began to notice about the same time how insanely catchy this song was.  If I heard it on the radio in the morning, I'd be humming the tune for the whole rest of the day.  
But it was catchy in a good way. It's the kind of song where when it's stuck in your head, you want to keep listening to it over and over again.

Back in those high school days, I was flirting with religious pluralism, so a song about Hare Krishna seemed pretty cool.  Now that I'm older, and a bit more influenced by Christopher Hitchens, I find the whole Hare Krishna movement to be cultish and stupid.  But...but, My Sweet Lord is still an incredibly catchy song. I could listen to this all day.

No comments: