Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Finished: Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra--I know, finally, right?  This book was, as Whisky predicted, a bit of a slog to get through.  But I'll talk all about my struggles to slog through this book in the review, so I don't want to get into that here.
The review might be a while. It's been so long since I started this book that I think I'm going to have to go back and review the first few chapters before I attempt to write up the review.  So no promises on when the review is coming, but it'll be coming one of these days.


Addendum February 27, 2021:
While I'm writing up the book review, I'm reviewing Don Quixote with Librivox recordings.  
DON QUIXOTE by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra - Vol. 1 Part 1 - FULL AudioBook
I'm going to keep track of my place below:
February 27--55:12
February 28--2:10:26
March 1--8:25
March 2--8:49
March 4--10:43 ,
March 17--33:13
March 18--1:17


Part 2: Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes: book review

2 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

You are to be congratulated, sir! Not (hardly) everybody finishes that tome, including Yours Truly.

Joel Swagman said...

Yes, it is quite a slog to get through this book, isn't it?
Sorry, I'm overusing that word now, but slog is what it is, so I can't think of another word.
It's not difficult. It's not like reading Joyce or T.S. Eliot or the modernists. And although Spanish students have to struggle with the original archaic Spanish, English speakers get to read modern translations that are much more readable than Milton, or Dante, or Spencer or even Shakespeare (in my experience.) So it's not the most difficult book I've ever encountered, by any means.
But it does just go on and on and on and on and on---without any sort of overarching plot, just one episode after another.

...still, I will admit to some pride at having knocked another classic off of my list. And as you say, not a lot of people actually get around to finishing this book.
...although...although in 5 or 10 years, most of this book will just be a faded dim memory, and then in order to discuss it intelligently, I'm going to have to read it again :(. The older I get, the more I discover the folly of trying to be well-read with my finite memory.