Sunday, February 24, 2019

Adventures in Interacting With Famous People on Twitter--Part 3
For my previous two adventures, see:
* Tom Hayden liked one of my tweets
* I attempted to remind Tom Holland of which quote he had translated from Suetonius.  (He never responded).

This time, it's Jim Scrivener. 
Jim Scrivener is a big deal in the English Language Teaching industry.  Most first year teachers have to read his book Learning Teaching.  (I've reviewed Learning Teaching HERE.)

Anyway, Jim Scrivener tweeted...




This got me curious, so I had to search for the videos.  And I found them.
Both Jim Scrivener himself (and a number of people in the reply thread) seemed to think this video was a serious attempt at fraud.  But after watching it myself, I thought it was pretty obvious the whole thing was a joke.  And, what's more, I even got a few chuckles out of it.  
The guy is clearly playing a character.  He's pretending to be a terrible English teacher, who is passing off all kinds of terrible advice.  I found it pretty funny.





I normally don't like to tweet at famous people.  (I don't want to be "that guy").  But in this case, I thought I could help out by just letting Jim Scrivener know the thing was a joke.  So I replied to his tweet:


Jim Scrivener responded by liking the tweet.  Which was nice of him.
So, there you go.  Another interaction with a famous person on twitter!

No comments: