Wednesday, January 03, 2018

The Knight Who Was Afraid of the Dark by Barbara Shook Hazen, Pictures by‎ Tony Ross

(Graded Reader)

I had never heard of this book before, but a colleague gave me a copy.  So I used it one of my children's classes.

The language in this book is actually not graded at all!  For a children's book, there is a lot of difficult language in this that went right over the heads of my ESL students.

But the pictures did such a great job of carrying the story that in the end the text didn't matter.
The pictures are really great.  There really funny illustrations, and my students got a big laugh out of all the pictures in this book.

You can buy this book on Amazon HERE
Here are some supplementary teaching materials I made when teaching this book in my classes.  These materials don't really work too well independently of the actual book, so you'll need to get a copy of the book to use these.

Google Folder HERE
Presentation on Google Slides: slides, pub

Link of the Day
Killian Lecture: Noam Chomsky – Language and the ‘Cognitive Revolution’

No comments: