Tuesday, January 16, 2018

The Loony Lunar Gold Rush by Carl Barks

(Graded Reader)

Having had good luck with Carl Barks several times, I decided to come back to the well one last time.

I wrote before that "The Golden Fleecing" felt vaguely familiar.  But this story I can say I definitely remember.  I remember reading this comic sometime in childhood, and finding it interesting.
(I remember thinking as a child that this comic was very clever for demonstrating that it's better to be a merchant than a prospector at a gold rush.  Looking back now, this lesson seems so obvious that I'm not sure the comic gets much credit for pointing it out.  But it seemed very clever to 10 year old me.)

My students put up with this story well enough, but after 4 Carl Barks stories in a row, they are beginning to lose a little bit of their initial enthusiasm, and I think I may move on to something else for my next Story Time.

Here are the materials I use when teaching this book:
Google Folder HERE
Part 1: slides, pub, Part 2: slides, pub, Part 3: slides, pub, Part 4: slides, pub, Part 5: slides, pub

 Link of the Day
Noam Chomsky on Anarchism (BookTV in Depth November 2013)

No comments: