Saturday, December 13, 2014

Wasting time the other day watching youtube videos, but came across this interesting quote from Christopher Hitchens from 1984.  Link Here



The quote starts from mark 18:30
I've written it down below:

"I'll state my vision if it's of any help to anyone.  I wasn't living in America at the time, but I believe that the American left, the American radicals, the American liberals, many of them, in starting the civil rights movement for black Americans, in combating an unjust war in Indochina, and in beginning the emancipation of women, the way we think about sex, changed the way everyone thinks, and the way everyone lives, far beyond the borders of the United States. It was a tremendous time and the whole world is in debt to the American Left, I'd rather call it, for those three enterprises.  Now it's true that there all now in rather low water, those movements, but I see no reason to sneer at them now, or to forget the grand contribution they made, unsurpassed by any conservative rival."

An interesting assessment--from an Englishman no less.
It caught my attention because, living abroad in an expatriate community, I'm constantly taking flack for being an American, and for America being the home of everything repressive and backwards about the world.  Most of this is good natured ribbing, but I still wanted to point out that Christopher Hitchens is crediting America with starting all these progressive movements, which later spread to the rest of the world.

6 comments:

dpreimer said...

Hitchens, vintage'84. What he was 20 years later shouldn't detract from that, and yet

Similar note: did you ever read Doctorow's "The Book of Daniel"? I think you'd dig it. His best novel, IMO, by quite a margin.

Joel Swagman said...

>>>Hitchens, vintage'84. What he was 20 years later shouldn't detract from that, and yet

Yes, I have similar mixed feelings. He did leave behind a mixed legacy, and yet, I still find myself cheering him on when I watch those old videos.

I've never read the book of Daniel. Never really heard about it. But I looked it up on wikipedia just now. It does indeed look like it would be right up my alley. Particularly interesting is the part about the story being told from the perspective of their son, who was in the student movement at the time (according to wikipedia). I actually read (way back in my undegraduate days) the memoir of the Rosenberg children

http://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Your-Sons-Rosenberg/dp/0395205522

which talked about their involvement in the student movements in the 1960s. Makes me all the more curious to read Doctorow's take on it now.

dpreimer said...

The prof who introduced me to this book told me the Rosenberg kids were decidedly NOT fans of the novel, for reasons that will likely be clear in the early pages. Still, what Doctorow best conveys is the dark energy of aspirations betrayed, specifically those of the American Left. Funny: my heart-rate jumps just thinking about some of the scenes. Highly recommended.

Joel Swagman said...

Sir, you have officially piqued my interest. I just returned from the bookstore with a copy of "The Book of Daniel" in hand.
I am, as always, juggling several books at the moment. So it could be several weeks before I get around to it. But I will be checking it out.

dpreimer said...

Hey, that's cool. Take your time (if you can).

dpreimer said...

;)