Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

 (Book Review)

This is the 5th book I’ve read by Terry Pratchett since I discovered him this winter (after Going Postal, Monstrous Regiment, Interesting Times, and Night Watch) and I’m running out of complementary things to say about him without repeating myself.

Undoubtably Terry Pratchett is one of the most talented writers alive today. He’s incredibly prolific, but lots of writers are prolific. But it’s one thing to crank out action/adventure stories. Humor is much more difficult. It’s really amazing that Pratchett can write as much as he does and still be funny. And with so much philosophy woven into his stories. And his stories are well-plotted as well. There are lots of different plot threads always coming together nicely at the end.

Earlier I compared Terry Pratchett to Douglas Adams, and this book reminded me again of that comparison. “Thief of Time” is a book about the nature of time, but in a silly way with a lot of silly philosophy that almost kind of makes sense if you think about it too long. For instance, “What if Yesterday doesn't really exist?”

Another theme of the book is the Greek idea of deities with human characteristics. In this book the world is about to end, and Death must find the other 3 horsemen to ride out for the apocalypse, but it turns out the other 3 horsemen can’t be bothered. And the mysterious 5th horseman of the apocalypse has gotten a job as a dairy deliveryman. Good general silliness all around.

I wouldn’t say this was my favorite Pratchett book so far. I enjoyed “Night Watch” and “Interesting Times” much more. But Pratchett is like Mark Twain. You can never really go wrong with him.

Useless Wikipedia Fact
It has been reported by Rolling Stone that a small Christian-right group in America is encouraging people to wear a masturband to indicate a commitment to abstinence from masturbation.

Link of the Day
Interview with Activate about their Counter-Recruitment Work

Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett: Book Review (Scripted)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pratchett is my favorite author writing today. You've got a treat coming if you have yet to read the witches stories. I'd give my left arm to be able to read the pratchett canon from scratch.