Friday, August 04, 2006

Thoughts on the New Job

Now that I’ve been doing this stocking job for almost a week, I thought I’d jot down a few thoughts.

Things I like
* We don’t take a lunch break and just take off a half hour early instead.
At my previous jobs, I always thought a 30 minute unpaid lunch was really stupid. Its not enough time to go home, and too long to sit and stare at the break room walls. If I’m going to be stuck on the premises, I want to be paid for that time. Otherwise two 15 minute breaks are plenty to get me through the day.

* They actually play real music.
No Muzak. No orchestral instrumental covers of pop songs. Actual music. And they don’t reply the same play list every day either. At my previous jobs I wanted to take a hatchet to the store intercom system. Now I actually kind of enjoy listening to the music.
One thing I really missed in Japan was western music, especially oldies. With the exception of the Carpenters and the Beatles, you just never heard a lot of oldies in Japan. We had CDs, sure, but after a while you kind of miss all the AM music “Momma’s and the Papas” type bubble gum pop. After 5 years I’d always get real nostalgic when I’d hear an old song on the radio somewhere.

*Working 3rd shift makes my days very flexible.
I can sleep days, go out evenings or sleep evenings, go out days.

* Everybody is really friendly so far.
Usually at a crap job like this there are a lot of people who are real bitter about their life and try and take it out on the new guy. We’ve all worked those kind of jobs at one point or another I’m sure. So far no problems here though. Everyone's been really friendly.

Things I Don’t Really Like
* Having to go into work at the end of the day
It feels more rewarding to work first and play later. There’s something to be said for finishing work at 3, and then having the whole afternoon without worries. When I have to go into work at 11, I have that hanging over my head for the whole day.

* Feeling Nickled and Dimed by the employer
Its not bad enough that we get paid minimum, the snacks and drinks in the break room have to be overpriced. And we can’t punch in until 2 minutes before the shift begins. Given the variables of traveling, its impossible to consistently arrive at work within a two minute window everyday. Which means you either risk being late, or you show up 10-5 minutes early and then just sit around waiting for the clock to turn. More unpaid time. I had this at my previous grocery job also and I think it’s the most miserly thing ever. Just let us clock in 5 minutes early and give us the extra 10 cents.

*The way time passes
You don’t realize how long 8 hours is until you work a job like this. I had learned this years ago, but forgotten. In Japan I was putting in 8 hours a day, but it never really seemed like I was working (probably because most of the time I wasn’t). And back in dorm cleaning days, we watched the clock a lot but it still always felt like the day went by fairly quickly.
The day really passes slowly here. And the next night always comes again way too soon.

* The mind numbingness
Stocking shelves gives you a lot of time alone with your thoughts. And that can be depressing sometimes. I mostly think about all my friends and the exciting and interesting jobs they’re doing right now, most of which don’t involve stocking shelves. Even though this job is only temporary, midway through an 8 hour shift sometimes it's hard to see the big picture.

Useless Wikipedia Fact
Joel (יוֹאֵל "Yahweh is El", usually interpreted as meaning Yahweh is God or Jehovah is God.

Link of the Day
The gang at Media Mouse went to Jackson this past Sunday to protest the Council of Conservative Citizens (the new name of the White Citizens Council, which itself is an offshoot of the Ku Klux Klan).
After a bit of soul searching, I ended up sitting this one out. First of all, I believe in their freedom of association even if I don't agree with them. Secondly, at this stage of the game, I don't think people who wear their racism on their sleeve are the problem. The real danger is the more subtle racists. And I think that creating a media circus around these kind of groups gives them more attention than they deserve.
Nevertheless Media mouse gave the protest report a decent write up here. Including this disturbing information about the CCC's ties with mainstream Republican politicians.

2 comments:

Chris Powell said...

Congratulations on the jobs. I cant say that i think the stacking shelves sounds very stimulating but the other one sounds like it should be cool. As for me i get back in australia on monday 14 august and then start work on the 16 which kinda sucks, but it does mean no money worries which is a good thing. In Thailand still now with a stomach bug from all the spicyfood. Not a fun way to spend your holiday but ive had an awesome time up until now. Keep us all updated on the job situation though.

Maria said...

Sure did take me a while to figure out who ジョエル スワグマン was Joel. Hope you can find something interesting to think about while stocking the shelves...mg