Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Class Room Topics Part 2

As part of the pilot program at the Elementary school, I’ve been asked to do a 5-10 minute talk at the beginning of class on topics related to American life. We call it “Joel’s Corner.”

Recently I’ve been asked to talk about the Christmas story. I enjoy talking about these things not because I’m trying to proselytize the students, but just because of the simple joy of talking about a topic that I know about. In Japan the elementary school kids know vaguely that there is a big western holiday called Christmas, but that’s about it. They don’t realize it is connected to the birth of Christ, or that the western system of dating years is also centered on Christ’s supposed birth.

Throughout the year, the school has asked me to use visual aids during “Joel’s Corner”, so I’ve been using pictures from home that show the Swagman family on various American holidays. We use the photo scanner at the school to blow them up to poster size, and then I bring them into the classroom and show it to the kids. Sometimes I wonder if my brothers, sisters and cousins have any idea how their childhood pictures are being used.

My brother and youngest sister were adopted from Korea, and this always takes a while to explain because the concept of adoption doesn’t exist in Japan. For a number of reasons, nobody adopts in Japan. The ties with extended family are stronger in Japan. Many generations often live under the same roof. So if the parents are unable to raise the child, the grandparents or other extended family usually assumes the duty.

Because it can be done secretly and quietly, unwanted pregnancies are usually taken care of by abortion in Japan. And, despite the fact that the abortion rate is through the roof here, it is considered extremely selfish to give up a child for adoption. Unless one is willing to endure social ostracism, giving a child up for adoption is essentially not an option.

There are some orphanages, but because of the importance of blood ties, no one ever adopts, and the kids stay in the orphanage until they grow up.

So not only does adoption not exist in Japan, they really don’t even understand the concept. Whereas in the West someone would look at the family picture and say, “Oh, I see your brother and sister are adopted”, in Japan the conversation goes something like this:

“Who are they?”

“They’re my brother and sister.”

“Don’t be silly. Who are they really?”

“No, really, they’re my brother and sister.”

“No, they’re obviously not. They’re not even the same race as you.”

“Well they were adopted from Korea.”

“Oh, I see. Like a Home Stay brother and sister.”

Depending on what mood I’m in, I sometimes let it go at this. If I’m feeling in a crusading mood, I’ll go through a lot of effort, and show them pictures of my brother and sister in various stages of growth to try and get them to understand that they are part of the family and aren’t getting sent back to Korea once the home stay ends.

Link of the Day
Peter's got a nice entry here comparing 2006 to 1966.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10312475/site/newsweek/