Tuesday, February 27, 2024

I came back to the 1995 Outer Limits again.  
I know I gave it a bad review last time, but I had ordered pizza for dinner, and I just wanted to put on something mindless while I ate my food.
Besides, the Outer Limits was an anthology show. Each episode was its own thing. Just because the last couple episodes I had watched were bad, it didn't mean they were all bad.  I could still find good episodes.
Now, because The Outer Limits is famous for its surprise endings, the less you know about an episode in advance, the better.  So I didn't do any research on the Internet.  I just searched for "The Outer Limits" on Youtube and clicked on a random episode.

The Voice Of Reason - The Outer Limits 1995 TV Series


Oh, man, what a stinker!
I'm reminded of what I said in my previous review of the 1995 Outer Limits:
The story establishes itself in the first act, and then, it plays out incredibly predictably from there.  The viewer is not rewarded for sticking to the end of this story.  What happens at the end is exactly what you think will happen.  
In the case of The Voice of Reason, the twist ending (the fact that some of the members on this committee were themselves aliens) was so obvious I don't know how anyone could fail to guess it from the very beginning.  By 3 minutes in, I had already guessed this.  I kept watching the episode anyway, partly because I had already turned it on and I was relaxed and eating pizza, but also partly in the hope that in the next 40 minutes it would go somewhere interesting.  
Nope.
It also turns out that this episode is a clip show.  (I guess they must have needed to save money at this point in the season.)  
Now clip shows always suck.  I don't need to convince anyone of that.
But this one doesn't make any sense, because the scientist starts out worried about an alien invasion of the Sandkings (W), but he's also worried that aliens are infiltrating the government, and he appears to think that this is all part of the same problem, but what is the connection between the Sandkings and the body snatchers?
Remind me not to watch any more episodes of this show again.  It's a waste of time.

No comments: