Sunday, October 03, 2004

Another Week, Another Post
Again another week between posts because I don't have internet access during the week. And although no one has been complaining, I feel obligated to apologize again for not answering any e-mails this week.
Anyway, things have not been too eventful this week. I had a regional meeting for the company I work for yesterday. It was somewhat similar to the JET conferences we used to have back in Oita, except this was on a Saturday. Which is getting to be a bit tiring, because it means it is my 3rd Saturday in a row working. (The two previous Saturdays were sports festivals). That frustration aside however it was mercifully brief (only 3 hours) and allowed me to meet some of the other English teachers in my area.

You would think an "area meeting" would be held in our area, but it was in Nagoya city. Which means Monika and I had to wake up extremely early again to catch the train. Because of my previous miss-ups with the train schedule, Monika took great care to explain to me the night before that, "Remember, we are leaving at 7:10. And that's the time you want to leave your house, not the time you wake up. Don't oversleep this time." Fortunately I didn't mess up this time.

As much as I hate early mornings on a Saturday, it was nice to be in Nagoya city for the afternoon. After making everyone's acquaintance in the morning meeting, we all went out to lunch together, and then starbucks, and then the English bookstore, and various other places. Saturday night was a "friendship party" in Nagoya, which we found out about because it was organized by someone else at the company who was at the morning meeting. The "Friendship Party" was based on a similar party in Tokyo, which was just a way for people to meet eachother and make connections. We went there in the evening, and it was good fun and I did meet a few nice people.

Other than that I don't think there is too much to report from this week. Next weekend is a 3 day weekend in Japan, so I'll be taking advantage of the holiday to go down to Oita again and see the old gang. If anyone in Oita is reading this and wants to hang out, just give me a call.

Also, if anyone cares, my successor in Ajimu, Josh, is perhaps doing a better job documenting life in Ajimu than I ever did. On his weblog he includes many things I never did, like pictures and even a map of where Ajimu is. Anyone interested should check it out.

Addendum: Just realized that my picture has been posted on the Godo town website here. I sincerely hope that this is just a case of a bad picture and not reflective of what I usually look like. (I've never been good at posing for pictures). The site is in Japanese, so I'm not sure if it is easily accessible from America or not.

No comments: