Friday, August 02, 2013

From the Washington Post:
We can handle the truth on NSA spying

*********************************************
On a different note, I was watching CNN International yesterday, and caught Justin Amash talking about his amendment to stop the NSA collecting American telephone numbers.  I was well impressed with his performance.  (Can't find a video online, but the transcript is here--he makes a number of good points:
 what the government was doing through the NSA was collecting the phone records and is collecting the phone records on a daily basis of every single American in the country, without any suspicion. And that violates the Fourth Amendment. You have to have reasonableness to go after people's records. You have to have probable cause, and you need a warrant. 
And right now they're collecting phone records of everyone rather than just those who are under suspicion, which is how the Patriot Act was intended to be.


...and later
the Constitution is a restriction on the federal government. It's not a restriction on Google or Microsoft or any other private company. Those are companies that have to compete for customers. They don't have any legal authority to put you in prison. The federal government is a different type of entity. That's why we have a Constitution. It's meant to protect us.
And the FISA court accepts federal government applications with almost 100 percent rate. They rarely turn down the federal government. And there is very little oversight. I, as a member of Congress, can't get access to the court opinions. I have to beg for access, and I'm denied it if I -- if I make that request.


To reiterate what I've said on Justin Amash before-- I certainly don't agree with him across the board on every issue, but I've been very impressed with how he's been spearheading the fight against the NSA.  And that issue alone is enough to put him in my good books for the moment.
From Justin's twitter feed:
If you think there are "zero privacy violations" in program that collects phone data of all Americans, you don't know what "privacy" means.
and When opponents of my #NSA amdt say it shuts down the program, by "program" they mean the suspicionless collection of all your phone records.

No comments: