Friday, July 26, 2013

From Khmer440.com:
The Expat Condition

I'm not sure if I'd sign off on this whole article, but I think she's correct enough in her general assertions.
It is a well documented part of the culture shock cycle that expatriates tend to develop negative impressions of the locals of whatever host country they're in.  Dissecting exactly why this occurs would be a long separate post, so I'm not going to get into all of that right now, but occur it does.  When I was in Japan, all of us expats complained about how the Japanese people were always doing everything wrong.  When I was in Australia, all of us foreign students complained about how loud and obnoxious the Australians were.  Now that I'm in Cambodia, many of the expat community spend a fair amount of time complaining about the local Cambodians.
For better or for worse, it's simply a part of human nature and the culture shock cycle.  It's hard to completely purge yourself of your biases, but the best thing you can do is try and recognize when it's occurring in yourself and try and keep it in check a little bit. But I'm as guilty of it as anyone else, and unfortunately sometimes it even creeps its way onto this blog.  So as always, take with a grain of salt everything I say or have said on this blog about Japanese, Australians, or Cambodians.

No comments: