Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman

(book review)

Following "The Golden Compass", I continue on to the second book in Philip Pullman's series.

And it continues to be great. I mentioned in my review of "The Golden Compass" that I hoped the concept of multiple universes would be explored more, and I got my wish in this book, as the action takes place over several universes with lots of jumping back and forth between them.

There's a lot of philosophical stuff for a kids book, and the story starts out pretty confusing, but as you keep reading the pieces gradually begin to fall together. (I've been assured by a friend that if I continue on to the 3rd book, all the pieces were finally fall down into place).

Amid all the jumping between universes, one of the themes of this book is a war against God himself (termed "the authority" in these books). My liberated agnosticism aside, I can't help but worry if I'm going to get struck by lightening for listening to this, but I suppose after all the episodes of "South Park" I've watched, it's a bit late to start worrying about blasphemy.

Yet another dramatic cliff-hanger ending that makes me want to rush right into the next book.

Link of the Day
The Washington Post had a great article Sunday by none other than George McGovern:
Why I Believe Bush Must Go: Nixon Was Bad. These Guys Are Worse
...A must read

The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman: Book Review (Scripted)



No comments: