Friday, January 02, 2004

book recommendations
I know it is kind of almost kind of silly to give book recommendations out, because everyone already has a huge list of "books they've been meaning to read when they get some time" anyway. And I'm the same. I still haven't read "The Great Gatsby", which Mr. Buma has been telling me for years is his favorite book of all time. And I keep meaning to pick up, "The Autobiography of Malcolm X", but somehow keep putting it off.
But recently a friend in Japan gave me a copy of Kurt Vonnegut's "Galapagos", and insisted that I read it. I had every intention of just pretending to read it. (After all, I like everyone else, have so many other books on my "read someday" list, I have no time for new books.) But somehow I found myself reading the first few lines, and then I was hooked.
After reading and enjoying "Galapagos", I wanted to read something else by the same author. I figured, "Slaughterhouse 5" was the most famous thing he had ever written, but I was unable to get a hold of a copy in Japan. Now that I'm back in the U.S., I was able to buy and read a copy, and it also was a really good read. It's been called the greatest anti-war novel ever written. At this point I'm in no position to agree or disagree with that statement, but it is pretty damn good.
So, for what it's worth, it has my recommendation. Add it to the long list of books you're going to read someday.

Video Version



No comments: