Thursday, October 23, 2003

I had two days at the elementary schools this week (as normal). And managed to make two kids cry during that time. That's slightly above average, but it is not unusual for a kid to burst into tears under my watch.
Some of it is unavoidable. For instance one of these kids started crying when he couldn't remember the English names for the animals we were studying that day.
And then some of it might be more avoidable. I was playing dodge ball with the kids during noon break. I started hiding behind some of them, and using them as shields. The kids told me this was against the rules, but I pretended not to understand.
One kid in particular I picked up and used as a shield. He appeared to be having a good time, and enjoying the humour of the situation. He was laughing, and calling out that he was a human being, and somewhat enjoying being the center of attention.
And then the ball hit him. He said he wasn't really out, because I had been holding him. A brief conference was held, and it was decided that because I was on his team, he couldn't use that as an excuse. At which point he promptly burst into tears.
I tried to apologize to him, but he refused to talk to me other than to call me "Mukatsuku" which means "a person who causes frustration".
Since I am the only foreigner these children interact with, I do try and take my role as an ambassador seriously, and usually try and avoid making them cry. But it was hard to avoid laughing while this boy was sulking about being called out in dodge ball.

No comments: