Thursday, September 29, 2022

PowerPoint Game Templates for ESL

(TESOL Materials--Any Grammar Point, Any Vocabulary Set)

Jurassic Park Game Example (originally from this lesson here).  The teacher I originally got this template from warned me that it has problems with the scoreboard, and that has been my experience as well
YuGiOh Game Example (originally from this lesson here) Also has problems with the scoreboard


This is a post I really should have made a long time ago.  I've been linking to these templates on this blog since 2015, but never made a post solely dedicated to them.  
Although I did mention them as part of my longer post Activities That Can Be Used for Any Grammar Point back in 2017.  I wrote at the time.
PowerPoint Games (Materials: a pre-made PowerPoint Game template, and equipment to use PowerPoint) (Preparation:  If you use a pre-made template, you only have to put in your own sentences.  About 20-30 minutes)
 There are various PowerPoint Templates out there floating around on the Internet.  They have various themes (Batman, Jurassic Park, Doraemon, Naruto, etc).  You can take a pre-made template, and put in your own questions.
During the game, students are given prompts.  They answer the prompts, and are awarded with points and other surprises from the game.
There was a rumor in my staffroom that most of these templates were created by English teachers working in South Korea, although I've never done my own independent research into their history.  (Feel free to leave a comment if you happen to know.)
At any rate, none of these are my originally creation.  I'm just indexing and sharing them.  All credit goes to the original creators.  (Some of the templates contain the names of the creator on them.)
These templates were really popular in the staffroom I was working at in 2015.  (If memory serves, one teacher was really into them, and then they gradually spread around the staffroom.)  I think it's the nature of these things that they just spread by word of mouth in staffrooms.  I've worked in some staffrooms where all the teachers were using them, and I've worked in some staffrooms where no one had ever heard of them.
Anyway, I thought I should index on this blog the ones I've used over the years.
I don't have the original blank templates saved (although I'm sure it exists somewhere on the web if you search around for it), so all the games linked to here have my own questions and answers already entered in.  If you use my old ones, you will need to delete my questions and answers and enter in your own.
Also, some of these may have glitches if you're not using the right version of PowerPoint.  Keep in mind that these were all designed for an older version of PowerPoint, but I find that they mostly work alright for me when I download them to a new PowerPoint.  Let me know in the comments if you have any issues.

No comments: