Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Procrastination by Jane B. Burka, PhD and Lenora M. Yuen, PhD [25th Anniversary Edition]


Subtitle: Why You Do It, What to Do About It Now


            It’s impossible to give an accurate review of this book just after reading it.  To fully review this book, or any self-help book, you need to first see what kind of a difference it makes in your life.  The true test of this book’s effectiveness can only be measured over time.  For example, 5 years from now, have you been able to transform your life thanks to this book, or are you still stuck in the same bad habits as before?

            As I write this review, I have only just finished reading this book.  So consequently, I can only give it a limited review, and touch on some of the more superficial aspects. (Perhaps 5 years later, I’ll have to revisit the topic to see how much this book has been able to help me.)

            On the plus side, this book is well written and very readable.  I was worried it would be a chore to get through, but instead found that the writing flowed very smoothly, and I finished the book much faster than I expected.
           
            The book is divided into two sections: the first section is about understanding why you procrastinate, and the second section offers some strategies on how to overcome it.
            To my disappointment, I found the strategies on overcoming procrastination somewhat underwhelming.  (I don’t know what I was expecting actually. I suppose I should have known there was no secret magic cure-all formula, just common sense useful advice like “Set a realistic goal” and “Expect obstacles and setbacks.”)
           
            The more interesting sections are on understanding how why you procrastinate, and how you became a procrastinator in the first place. 
            Contrary to popular belief, the authors assert, “procrastination is not primarily a time management problem or a moral failing but a complex psychological issue” (p. xii).
           
            But if procrastination is not just another term for laziness, then what is it then?  Here things become a little bit confusing, because the authors identify multiple reasons why a person might become a procrastinator, such as maladaptive perfectionism (people who are so afraid of failure that they have trouble acting), fear of success, fear of losing your autonomy to authority and attention deficit disorder.

            At this point, it almost seems like they’re not defining procrastination as one psychological disorder, but as 4 different and distinct disorders that simply manifest themselves with the same symptoms.
            It may well be that all of these disorders can cause procrastination in their own way.  (The world is a complex place after all).  But the problem is that they posit multiple causes for procrastination, and then offer one-size fits all type solutions. It seems unrealistic that the same strategies would work for each case.  Surely a person who is afraid of failure has a different disorder than someone who is afraid of success?  A person with ADD, who has a biological neuro-chemical reason for procrastination, is going to need different strategies for overcoming procrastination than someone with an opposition to authority.
           
            The confusion continues into Chapter 9: How You Came to Be a Procrastinator. The authors want to explore how procrastination is created by the childhood environment.  This is understandable—after all, they’re both psychologists, and they are defining procrastination not as a bad habit but as a psychological issue, so it makes sense they want to establish it as arising from childhood.  And although they base a lot of their theories on empirical evidence, in my opinion their credibility is stretched when anything and everything can lead to procrastination.
            According to chapter 9, you become a procrastinator if you grew up in a family where your parents always criticized your efforts, or where you were always held up to impossibly high standards. But you also become a procrastinator if your parents praised you too much.  And you grow up to be a procrastinator if your parents always doubted you.  Or if your parents were too controlling.  Or if your parents were too clinging, but also if your parents were too distant. 

            Some sections in this book I felt like I identified with.  And yet at times I wondered if this wasn’t because of the fortune cookie phenomenon: you make a statement so general that everyone will be able to identify it, and then tell a person this relates to their specific situation.  The response of the mark is always amazement, “Wow, how do you know me so well!”

            The real value of this book may not be in the accuracy of the author’s analysis.  The real value is that reading it forces you to reflect on your own procrastination, and serious reflection is the first step to recovery.  Or at least so I found.  While I was reading this book, I had a heightened awareness of my own procrastination.  Whereas before I would put stuff off and not think twice about it, now I at least catch myself doing it.  And although I haven’t yet broken the cycle of procrastination yet, I’m at least starting to think about it more.

            And the authors themselves acknowledge this.
            In the past, you may have made the choice to procrastinate automatically, without even realizing it. Perhaps you accepted your excuses unquestioningly or ran away from your goal on impulse.  If you accomplished nothing else…we hope that you procrastinated more consciously” (p. 191).

            I plan to re-read this book a couple more times to help me internalize its contents more, and in the future I want to try out some of the author’s suggestions, and see how much of a difference they make.
              But for the moment I’ll just leave my review here.

***********
            I had previously viewed my procrastination as simply an inability to get daily tasks done, but the author’s trace procrastination to a wide range of problems in life.  Relationship problems for example (not pursuing romantic relationships, not asking people out on dates, not staying in touch with friends, not visiting or calling relatives)
 and personal care (cleaning out your closet, shopping for new clothes, getting your hair cut, personal hygiene) and finance problems.
            Because of this book, I’m beginning to see that the problems in just about all areas of my life might be related in some way to procrastination.
            For example, I used to just think I was a slob, but now I’m wondering if my carelessness in dress might be a symptom of my procrastination?
            Also after reading this book, I’m beginning to see the television addiction I complained of some months ago  as being not a separate problem in its own right, but as another symptom of procrastination.
            Or is this just the fortune cookie phenomenon again?  Are the author’s of this book encouraging me to over-generalize all of my problems into one rubric?

****************

            Despite my mixed feelings about the book’s effectiveness, I’ve started recommending it to my students. 
            At my school, the higher level courses include a Study Skills component which gives the students advice on how to be successful academically.  Since I know many of my students also suffer from procrastination (I get a few late papers every term) it seemed appropriate to plug the book into the Study Skills section.
            If nothing else, I hope the book will cause them, as it did me, to think more about why they procrastinate instead of just assuming they procrastinate because they are a bad person.
            (Although my students are not native English speakers, the book is simply written and easy to read, and I think at least my higher level students should be able to comprehend it.)

            It also occurred to me that it’s not a bad idea for educators to become knowledgeable about the psychology of procrastination, regardless of whether or not they suffer from it themselves.  It will help them to become more understanding when they encounter students with this problem.
            For example in my own case, although I’m careful not to reward or reinforce the student’s procrastination by extending the deadlines, I try and make clear that I don’t equate the students’ worth as a person with their academic performance, or that I don’t think they are a bad person because they missed one deadline.  (I believe this is in line with chapter 18 of this book, Living and Working with Procrastinators, which is written specifically to help people deal with a procrastinator other than themselves.)

            Because I think it’s helpful for educators to become more knowledgeable about procrastination, and because I suffer from the problem myself, I think it might not be a bad idea for me to read a few more books on the subject, and try to perhaps carve out a little area of expertise.  I’ll review the books on this blog as I read them.

Link of the Day

No comments: