Saturday, December 17, 2022

Rereads Index

Bulfinch's Mythology: The Age of Fable or Stories of Gods and Heroes by Thomas Bulfinch --I listened to an audiobook version ("unabridged selections") which I had on rotation in my car between 2004 and 2009
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl--this was originally read to me multiple times in elementary school
Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl--this was originally read to me in 1st grade
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White--this was originally read to me multiple times in elementary school
Deuteronomy--I originally read in 7th grade
Dracula by Bram Stoker--I originally did this as an audiobook in spring 2001
Exodus--I originally read in 7th grade
Genesis--I originally read in 7th grade
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling--I originally did this book as an audiobook in 2004
Joshua--I originally read in 7th grade
Judges--I originally read in 7th grade
Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson--I think I read this book around 3rd or 4th grade.  Or at least attempted it.
Leviticus--I originally read in 7th grade
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien--I originally read this book in 5th grade
Numbers--I originally read in 7th grade
Ruth --I originally read in 7th grade
Superman: Funeral for a Friend--I read a previous version of this book, World Without Superman, multiple times around 9th and 10th grade
Superman: Reign of the Supermen---I read a previous version of this book, The Return of Superman, multiple times around 9th and 10th grade
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain--I originally read this in 6th grade
The BFG by Roald Dahl--this was originally read to me in 3rd grade
The Death of Superman--read multiple times around 9th and 10th grade
The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien--I originally did this book as an audiobook back in early 2001
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien--I originally read this book back in January 2001
The Iliad by Homer--I originally read this in 7th grade
The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells--I originally read this in middle school
The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum--I originally read this sometime in elementary school
The Odyssey by Homer--I originally read this in 7th grade
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas--I originally read this in 6th grade
The Witches by Roald Dahl--This was read to me in 4th grade
Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons--originally read in 2009

Abandoned Rereads:

Addendum 1: The above list only counts the books I had previously completed.  It doesn't count the books that I tried to read when I was younger, and gave up on, and then came back to years later.  That list is below:
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court by Mark Twain--I originally tried to read it in 6th grade, but gave up
Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh--I remember parts of this book from childhood, but I don't think I read the whole thing before
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain--tried to read this when I was in 6th grade, but gave up
The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson--I originally tried to read this in 4th grade, but gave up
The Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm--I had a collection of this fairy tales as a child, but never read through it cover-to-cover
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy--I tried to do this as audiobooks in early 2001, but gave up on it.
The Karamazov Brothers by Fyodor Dostoevsky--I originally tried to read this in college, but gave up on it
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury--one of the stories in this collection--There Will Come Soft Rains--was included in a science fiction anthology book I read in middle school
The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle--attempted to read this book in 2nd grade, but I gave up
The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien--I attempted this as an audiobook in 2001, but gave up
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame--I tried this somewhere around 5th or 6th grade, but gave up
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson--attempted this book several times in elementary school, but was never quite able to get all the way to the end

Addendum 2: The above lists also do not count cases in which I read simplified versions of the book as a kid, and then later as an adult came back to read the original version.  That list is below:
Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne--I originally read Great Classics Illustrated version in elementary school
Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne--I originally read Great Classics Illustrated version in elementary school
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain--I originally read Great Classics Illustrated version in elementary school
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells--I originally read Great Classics Illustrated version in elementary school

Playlist HERE

2 comments:

dpreimer said...

I heard Jim Dale perform Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and I had to play the other CDs. It helped that we were making yearly car trips through the Canadian prairies and both kids wanted to hear Jim Dale. Once I was savvy to JK Rowling I would tune out during the "Great Adventure" tuning back in once I heard both kids gasp. Sh -- not a word of this now !!

Joel Swagman said...

Your secret is safe with me sir.
And I agree that audio books are the best way to do Harry Potter.