Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Deuteronomy (From The Jerusalem Bible): Book Discussion

Started: December 30, 2023
Finished: January 24, 2024

(This is a reread.  I originally read this book in 7th grade.  But since this is my first time reviewing this book on this blog, according to my new rules, I'm doing this as a video only review.) 



I explain about my background with the Bible and my reasons for doing this read-through in this blog post here: https://joelswagman.blogspot.com/2022/01/the-book-of-genesis-from-jerusalem-bible.html


Addendum:
Now that I've finished the video, I'm starting to think of all the interesting stuff I forgot to mention.  The laws on war, and what to do with captured towns are interesting.  The laws on how you can marry a woman you've enslaved in war are interesting.  (I'm surprised Hitchens or Paine never made a bigger deal Deuteronomy 21).  A lot of the footnotes in the Jerusalem Bible are interesting--comments on how the Anakim were related to the Nephilim in Deuteronomy 2, or how the sons of God in Deuteronomy 32 refer to the guardian angels of nations, etc, etc, etc.
That's the danger of doing these things unscripted.  I just forget to talk about lots of stuff, and then once I shut off the camera, I remember all the interesting stuff.
In terms of the talking about the themes of the this book, however, the biggest ball I dropped was making clear how the worldview in Deuteronomy is going to influence the whole rest of the historical narrative (i.e. worship Yahweh and you will conquer your enemies, worship other gods and your enemies will conquer you), and how scholars believe that this whole historical narrative was edited by Deuteronomistic Historian (W).  (I alluded to this briefly, but I don't think I clearly explained it.)

Weekly Reading Vlogs
December 31, 2023 Deuteronomy 1-3
January 07, 2024 Deuteronomy 3-8
January 14, 2024 Deuteronomy 8-17
January 21, 2024 Deuteronomy 17-31

Playlist HERE

No comments: