Tuesday, January 02, 2018

2017 Movie Awards

(Year End Movie Awards)

1. Sing 2 Stars
2. Kong: Skull Island 8 Stars
3. The Big Short 9 Stars
4. Going in Style 1 Star
5. Best of Enemies 10 Stars
6. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 8 Stars
7. La Révolution française (1989)--The French Revolution 10 Stars
8. Spider-Man Homecoming 6 Stars
9. Avengers: Age of Ultron 5 Stars
10. Thor: Ragnarok 8 Stars
11. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Star Wars Episode VIII) 10 Stars
12. Logan 7 Stars

As always, this is my personal list of the movies I happened to see in 2017, and not what movies came out this year.

Best Movie I Saw This Year
I gave 10 stars to Best of Enemies, The French Revolution, and The Last Jedi.
The Last Jedi I was probably slightly too generous too--although it's still a really good movie, and I will defend it against all naysayers.
The French Revolution was fascinating, but almost more of a television mini-series than a movie.
So I'm giving the award to Best of Enemies.  Granted, this totally reflects my own idiosyncrasies--my love of history, television, and  political debate shows--someone else with different interests won't find it nearly as interesting.

Worst Movie I Saw This Year
I really hated Sing, but at least Sing was mildly entertaining.  For a film that's awful and really boring, the award goes to Going in Style.

Addendum: TV Shows
Star Trek Discovery: Episode 1. Brief Thoughts  (I watched a few more episodes after episode 1, but I lost interest before the season finished.

2017 Video Review Playlist HERE and embedded below:



Link of the Day
Noam Chomsky Vietnam War Remembered FULL TALK + Q&A

No comments: