Sunday, January 07, 2018

Uncle Scrooge: A Cool Deal by Carl Barks

(Graded Reader)
I had good success using "The Thrifty Spendthrift" in my class, so I decided to do more Carl Barks.
This was the second story in the same issue as "The Thrifty Spendthrift", and is a short little cartoon as opposed to a whole story.
Donald and Uncle Scrooge go out ice-skating.  Donald wears a bearskin rug to keep warm.  People mistake him for a real bear.  Then Uncle Scrooge later mistakes a real bear for Donald.  Things keep getting more and more ridiculous until the punchline at the end.
As with The Thrifty Spendthrift, this did have some difficult vocabulary.  But the pictures largely carried the story.
My students enjoyed it.  And it was short and sweet, so we did the whole story in just one class (as opposed to spreading it out over several lessons, like we did with The Thrifty Spendthrift.)

Materials I used to teach the book in class:
Google Folder HERE
Slideshow: slides, pub

Link of the Day
Noam Chomsky - Humanitarian Intervention I

No comments: