Sunday, September 20, 2026

Star Wars: Movie Review




Admittedly this ended up being more about my reminiscences of watching Star Wars than a review of Star Wars itself.  Sorry about that.  I just had to get that out of my system, I guess, before I could talk about the objective merits of this film.  At some point, I'll have to come back and take another crack at reviewing this movie.  Sooner or later, I'm bound to watch it again, and when I do, I'll try to just jump straight into the review next time.

Links to stuff mentioned:
My blog post on the first time I tried to introduce this movie to my kids: https://joelswagman.blogspot.com/2026/01/star-wars-movies-that-ive-half-watched.html



2 comments:

Futami-chan said...

maybe that was in middle school or primary school i saw the 2nd movie of the prequel trilogy. so one day during lunch i opened the thing on dvd and having lunch with family and since there was a kissing scene between the young vader and the princess i was pretending to act cool before that scene happened. but then my eyes caught the scene and seemed to have been too flustered so i couldn't the fate of being teased by my father holy phuccccc. im sure if i watch the scene again i would view it through a new perspective unlike the boi me, even if not necessary because i have consumed more than 250 titles of japanese obscene stuff myself

now come to think of which maybe harry potter = star wars of its generation. harry potter dvd = what my family always complain to people of me watching again and again. given that house rule = no computer other than weekends my plan of what to do after school used to be harry potter (which they luckily didn't forbade).

Joel Swagman said...

That's a good point about Harry Potter. And there are definitely a lot of parallels between the Harry Potter fandom and the Star Wars phenomenon. I think you're right about how the DVD legacies of both are similar. In terms of how huge Star Wars was in the early 1980s, however, and how big the toys were, I don't think Harry Potter got anything close to that. At least talking about the USA. Although the weird thing about Star Wars was how quickly it disappeared. In 1984, those toys were everywhere. By 1986, they had largely disappeared.