Thursday, October 10, 2024



Man, look at these guys throw themselves into this song!  How could you not love this?

I'm pretty sure I heard this song on classic rock stations in my youth, but it didn't make an impression on me at the time.  But I've rediscovered this now thanks to the Internet, and I dig it.

Classic rock and oldies stations were great for introducing my generation to the music of the 50s and 60s, but one of the disadvantages of growing up on these stations is that you don't get a sense of how the music was evolving over time.  The songs were all just played randomly on these stations, and in my young brain they just all got labelled under the generic term "oldies", so I didn't appreciate how the artists were playing off of each other.  

Now, however, I think I have a better appreciation for how much these guys transformed the original song.

I think it's cool how they took a well known song by the Supremes, and turned it into heavy rock.  
It's interesting to note, according to Wikipedia, that the Supremes' original came out  in 1966, and the Vanilla Fudge version came out just one year later in 1967.  So this song wasn't even that old when they remade it.
[Sidenote: Is it just me, or where there a lot more covers going on in the 60s? I'm thinking of things like Johnny Rivers' cover of "Baby I Need Your Lovin" or Joe Cocker's version of The Letter, etc.  With all these musicians listening to each other and covering each other, it gives me the impression that the music in the 1960s was much more of "a scene" than it is today.]

But secondly, I just love how these guy take the comparatively light little Supremes' song, and just play it for all its worth.  
In fact, the Ed Sullivan show version isn't even the full song.  They had two versions--a short 3 minute one for radio play, and a full 7 minute for the album (W).



Addendum: I'm posting about this now (because I have a few free minutes this morning, and I happened  to remember this.)  But I rediscovered this song a couple years ago.  I forget how I rediscovered it.  (Does anyone remember how they found most of the random stuff they happened to find on the Internet?)
According to Wikipedia, this version featured prominently in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, which I still haven't seen, but I have seen some short clips of the movie on Youtube.  Was that how I rediscovered this song?  I don't remember.  Or maybe I heard about it indirectly from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood--e.g. seeing a video from someone who was using this song because they had seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  Who knows.  I mean, I hate to think that I'm so superficial that I'm discovering my music through the latest Tarantino movie, but... I guess maybe I am.

No comments: