Friday, July 08, 2022

Phnom Penh, Cambodia, September 2014 (Stealing from Facebook)


Another Facebook album link.  (This is part of the project I explained about in this post HERE.) This is a Facebook post of pictures around Phnom Penh.


This is a little walking tour I did of Phnom Penh in September 2014.  I had been living in Phnom Penh for 3.5 years at that point, but had never gotten my camera out and taken pictures of it.  I only ever got out my camera when I left Phnom Penh and went to another part of Cambodia (see HEREHEREHEREHEREHEREHERE and HERE).  So after a couple years photographing all my trips outside of Phnom Penh, I thought to myself: "I really should get some pictures of Phnom Penh".

I had a day off from work in September 2014 for a public holiday, so I took my camera with me and walked around the city.  
I spent the whole day walking, so all of the pictures are what was within walking distance of my apartment.  (Granted, I walk for long distances, so I have a generous definition of "walking distance").  It's also all within Phnom Penh city, although Phnom Penh city does have a funny little divide between the two sides of the river.  On one side of the river is the big city, on the other side of the river is the countryside.  Once you walk across that bridge to the other side of the river, you instantly leave the big city behind and are suddenly photographing rural Cambodia.  
(Or at least that's the way it was back in 2014.  Who knows how much the city has developed and expanded since then?)

I had a hard time uploading these photos onto the Internet.  At the time, I didn't have an Internet connection in my apartment, and only accessed the Internet through my data plan on my smartphone.  I used my digital camera to take the photographs, then transferred the photos to my smartphone, then attempted to load the photos onto Internet from my phone.  I tried to upload them onto Google Photos, but that didn't work (for whatever reason).
I tried to upload them onto Facebook, but I kept getting error messages, so I kept trying again.  As it turns out, I accidentally created the same post on Facebook 3 different times.
I also think I lost some photos in the process. I'm relatively sure I started out this photo tour by taking photos around my apartment and my local street, but looking at this photo collection now, I can't see any of those photos.  
The order of these photos is another casualty of that upload.  Unfortunately they are no longer in the order that I took them in, so the geography is now all shuffled about.

I also originally intended to turn these photos into a blog post, and I even wrote the first few sentences of that blogpost back in 2014.  It's still saved in my unpublished post archive:
So, a couple months ago, my school was off for (yet another) public holiday in Cambodia.  I decided to wander around the city with my camera and take some pictures.  (I have taken my camera with me now on several trip outside of Phnom Penh, but I had never previously documented the sites of the very city I was living in.  It seemed like an oversight.)
Because it was a public holiday, the city was quieter than usual.  To get the full flavor of a typical day in Phnom Penh, you'll have to imagine more traffic.

I started out from my apartment, and got some pictures of the view from where I'm living.

...and that's as far as I got.  I got busy with other things, and never finished writing that post.

But here are the photos on Facebook:

 

No comments: