Tuesday, February 26, 2019

meanwhile, whereas, while

(TESOL Worksheets--Vocabulary)
Google: docspub
[This is in response to a student request to study the difference between meanwhile, whereas, and while.  Example sentences come from the dictionary.]


meanwhile, whereas, while


Definitions

_______________ during the time that
_______________ in the time between two things happening, or while something else is happening
_______________ although
_______________ used to compare two different facts or situations
_______________ a period of time (Noun)
_______________ compared with the fact that

Notes:
Meanwhile vs While
Meanwhile and  While more or less have the same meaning however there are differences in the grammar:
Meanwhile is used to connect two sentences however while is also used in a sentence where two actions are happening but it’s all in one sentence.
Meanwhile can’t be at the beginning where while can be put at the beginning of the conversation. For example I could say “While you play soccer I will learn some pronunciation”
Meanwhile is followed by a subject (person or a thing being talked about) whereas while is followed by a verb

While vs Whereas
Whereas means the same as while in sentences expressing contrasts. It does not mean the same as while when while refers to time:
The south has a hot, dry climate, whereas/while the north has a milder, wetter climate.
The secretary took care of my appointments while I was away from the office. (Not: … whereas I was away from the office.)

Sentences

Sit down for a little _______________ .
His parents were rich, _______________ mine had to struggle.
John has gone to the supermarket. Nicola, _______________ , has gone to collect the kids from school.
I can't talk to anyone _______________ I'm driving.
_______________ you're away, I might decorate the bathroom.
I met my old English teacher _______________ trekking in the Alps.
Put the chicken into the oven to roast. _______________ , prepare the vegetables.
Let's go now _______________ it's still light.
Could you forward my mail to me _______________ I'm away?
She described him, rather charitably, as quiet _______________ I would have said he was boring.
Did you visit St Petersburg _______________ you were in Russia?
And _______________ I like my job, I wouldn't want to do it forever.
He is a globalist, _______________ we are nationalists who will put our country first.
It might be wise to keep this quiet for a _______________ .
The rehearsals take place next week. _______________ , the technicians will be testing the stage equipment.
Tom is very confident _______________ Katy is shy and quiet.
a long/short _______________
He must be about 60, _______________ his wife looks about 30.
I'm going out for a _______________ .
After his heart attack, he had to take things easy for a _______________ .
The situation has been troubling me for a _______________ .
She actually enjoys confrontation, _______________ I prefer a quiet life.
He works slowly and precisely _______________ I tend to rush things and make mistakes.
Go and play outside for a _______________ .
I read a magazine _______________ I was waiting.
The mother is ill. The child, _______________ , is living with foster parents.
The school is being rebuilt after the fire. _______________ , temporary classrooms are being used.
You eat a huge plate of food for lunch, _______________ I have just a sandwich.
Your hair has a natural wave _______________ mine's just straight and boring.
Many parts of the south have been suffering from drought. _______________ , areas of the north have been flooded.
Wait here _______________ I get the car.

Answers:

Definitions

while during the time that
meanwhile in the time between two things happening, or while something else is happening
while although
while used to compare two different facts or situations
while a period of time (Noun)
meanwhile in the time between two things happening, or while something else is happening
whereas compared with the fact that

Sentences

Sit down for a little while.
His parents were rich, whereas mine had to struggle.
John has gone to the supermarket. Nicola, meanwhile, has gone to collect the kids from school.
I can't talk to anyone while I'm driving.
While you're away, I might decorate the bathroom.
I met my old English teacher while trekking in the Alps.
Put the chicken into the oven to roast. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables.
Let's go now while it's still light.
Could you forward my mail to me while I'm away?
She described him, rather charitably, as quiet whereas I would have said he was boring.
Did you visit St Petersburg while you were in Russia?
And while I like my job, I wouldn't want to do it forever.
He is a globalist, whereas we are nationalists who will put our country first.
It might be wise to keep this quiet for a while.
The rehearsals take place next week. Meanwhile, the technicians will be testing the stage equipment.
Tom is very confident while Katy is shy and quiet.
a long/short while
He must be about 60, whereas his wife looks about 30.
I'm going out for a while.
After his heart attack, he had to take things easy for a while.
The situation has been troubling me for a while.
She actually enjoys confrontation, whereas I prefer a quiet life.
He works slowly and precisely whereas I tend to rush things and make mistakes.
Go and play outside for a while.
I read a magazine while I was waiting.
The mother is ill. The child, meanwhile, is living with foster parents.
The school is being rebuilt after the fire. Meanwhile, temporary classrooms are being used.
You eat a huge plate of food for lunch, whereas I have just a sandwich.
Your hair has a natural wave whereas mine's just straight and boring.
Many parts of the south have been suffering from drought. Meanwhile, areas of the north have been flooded.
Wait here while I get the car.


No comments: