Wednesday, November 08, 2017

The Cat in the Hat Comes Back by Dr. Seuss

(Graded Reader)

The original Cat in the Hat was a big hit in my children's classes, so when a colleague helped me track down the sequel, I decided to use that as well.

This was another book I had read in childhood, but I had kind of forgotten about it.
Or, rather, I think in my mind I had melded the two books together.
When I read The Cat in the Hat last year, I was thinking in the back of my mind: "Hmmm.  I thought I remembered it being more absurd than this."

I think what I was actually remembering was The Cat in the Hat Comes Back.
The story about the strange pink spot which just grows and grows and grows is pretty absurd.
Also, all the little cats inside the Cat's hat is also pretty absurd.
But these kind of absurdities really capture a child's imagination, and my classes loved this book.

This book is available on Amazon.com here.

Here are some supplementary teaching materials I made when teaching this book in my classes.  These materials don't really work too well independently of the actual book, so you'll need to get a copy of the book to use these.

Google Drive Folder HERE
Presentation: slides, pub

Link of the Day
Noam Chomsky: When Elites Fail and What We Should Do About It

(TESOL Materials--Storybooks ESL Listening)

Youtube Video HERE
Vocabulary: slides, pub



No comments: