Sunday, May 24, 2009

Napoleon by Felix Markham

(Book Review)

I found this in the used book section of my local bookstore the last time I was back in the States. And, as you do with used books, I bought it primarily just because it was so cheap. (I paid only $2 for this).

It's a very small little book, running at just 270 pages, and that on small pocket sized pages.

As a result, I learned very little new information from it. It was mostly a review of some- of the other - Napoleon - books I had been reading this year. But there were some interesting bits here and there.

This book was published in 1966, and there are some cases where it shows its age. For example it doesn't have the advantage of recent studies on whether or not Napoleon was poisoned at Saint Helena (w). Felix Markham has a short appendix on the cause of Napoleon's death, but the research only goes up to 1962.

From a readability standpoint, I found this book a bit dry. Furthermore there's so much information packed into a small area that it can be a bit difficult to absorb.

Link of the Day
Globalization and its Discontents

Also, thank goodness for the daily show. Their little bit on right wing hypocritical attitudes towards protest and criticism saved me having to write a post ranting about it. Watch here and here. (I might do a post on right wing hypocrisy later, but for now these video links will tide me over.)

and Mr. Vice President, should Americans be worried about the swine flu?

2 comments:

Whisky Prajer said...

The only Napolean bio I've read is Vincent Cronin's, which I enjoyed. Prior to reading this, I wasn't aware of NB's early succession of catastrophic military failures. Makes you wonder how that guy ever slept at night.

Paul Johnson's book looks interesting, though.

Joel Swagman said...

I'll be honest, I'm feeling a bit "Napoleoned out" at this stage on my reading list, but I'll keep those books in mind for the future. I still have yet to come across a really good readable biography.