Monday, September 06, 2021

Good and Bad Points about Chiang Mai: Listening

(TESOL Materials--Listening)

Full Video HERE
1 Minute Excerpt HERE
Transcript for the one minute excerpt: docs, pub
[This was originally part of a larger lesson HERE, but I'm also posting it here as a separate listening exercise]




Watch the Video (full 10 minutes): https://youtu.be/Mg20s7-GlDk

Watch the Video (1 minute excerpt): https://youtu.be/wWvSfjHlLAE


Transcript for 1 Minute Excerpt: Good and Bad Points about Chiang Mai


1. Dominic: So-so things like that.  So, yeah, so here, the--, I mean the food's nice, but it's bland, and it's bland to get---

2. Samantha: No, it’s too spicy.  No, it’s too spicy. I'm--I’m going hungry more often than not cause I can't eat it. You can add spice, okay. At least if it's bland, you can add spice.

3. D: Yeah.

4. S:  But if it's already spicy, I can't take it away.

5. D: And that is a grand argument. And I’m sure that's the thought process of the chef.

6. S: Yes, yes. So maybe you can do that next time.

7. D: No, you’re right. So come on then. Let's--, If we have to summarize it, remind me,

8. S: Okay

9. D:  tell me what--what were our three--

10. S: So good, good, good points for me were being able to see the stars at night--

11. D: Okay.

12. S: --Uh, being in a smaller city so I can appreciate the countryside--

13. D: Uh-huh

14. S: Uh, and, yeah, the weather yeah, it's what makes me. And my negatives, I've only got two. It's the insects and the spicy food.

15. D: Okay, and I would pretty much agree-- in agreement on the positive things. I mean, you’re light pollution, I’m on noise pollution.  

16. S: Yeah.

17. D: Let's call it. It's a keen place to be. 

18. S: Yeah.

19. D: It’s an element of tranquility.

20. S: Absolutely yeah.

21. D: Okay, the weather we agree on, and remind me again, it’s drifting away, I’ve forgotten the other one. Uh--

22. S: For me it was the--, being in the countryside, not being in the--

23. D: Of course, that’s right.

24. S: Yeah, so a smaller place.

25. D: Yeah, yeah, sure.

26. S: Yeah.

27. D: And then the negatives. I think the food is bland. Sorry.

28. S: I think it’s too spicy.

29. D: Yeah, and--

30. S: Insects, for me.  

31. D: Insects. Did I have another one?

32. S: Uh... I can't remember. Maybe for you it’s the creepy-crawlies. But you said you're more used to them now. 

33. D: Yeah, yeah,

34. S: But yeah. 

35. D: So I mean if I had to throw one more challenge or negative thing about living in Chiang Mai--, I find it really hard to do, because, really, I like living in Chiang Mai.

No comments: