Thursday, September 21, 2017

Joke Using Reported Speech

(TESOL Worksheets--Reported Speech)

Google: slides, pub

[This little Google Slides is plagiarized from my lesson on jokes, which was in turn plagiarized from my joke-a-day post, which in turn was plagiarized mostly from various joke sites on the Internet.
I discovered some time ago that the joke about the shopkeeper and the dog set up the grammar of reported speech quite nicely, and I've been using it in my classes to introduce reported speech.  And eventually I just decided to make it into a separate little Google Slides document so I didn't have to scroll through all my jokes every time I wanted to use it.]




In case the slideshow doesn't load, here is the script below:
A man walked into a shop…
…and he saw a cute little dog.
He asked the shopkeeper, "Does your dog bite?" 
The shopkeeper said, "No, my dog does not bite." 
So the man tried to pet the dog and the dog bit him. 
"Ouch!" he said. "I thought you said that your dog didn’t bite!" 
The shopkeeper replied,
"That is not my dog!"
Spot the difference:
The shopkeeper said, “No, my dog does not bite.”
"Ouch!" he said. "I thought you said that your dog didn’t bite!" 



No comments: