Saturday, August 29, 2026

The Role of a BookTuber Tag



I was tagged by Abby Reads here: https://youtu.be/lMpqrw8Ehdo?si=rs9PNLjnxKSGzFm8

Questions:
1. How do you view your role as a booktuber? [Examples might be as a critic, a curator, an influencer, an entertainer, an educator, etc.]

2. Do you have any educational background in literature or literary criticism, either formal or self-directed? And [if you are comfortable sharing] do you have any other education or professional experience that you bring to bear on your reviews?

3. Do you typically do any research on either the book or the author before you review a book?

4. Do you focus your reviews more on the objective qualities of a book or more on your subjective opinions about it?

5. Have you ever received a free book or advanced reader copy from the author, and if so, did it have any impact on your ability to honestly review the book? (Or on how you felt about it?)

6. Do you review every book you read? Are there any reasons that you might read a book but choose not to review it?

7. How do you feel about the fact that many people now primarily consume book reviews by hobbyists on BookTube rather than professional critics? (What is lost; what is gained?)

Links to (some) of the stuff mentioned:
The two books I mentioned that were sent to me by the authors are:

The book that was written by a friend of mine: 




I tag:
 @Bucky749  
 @WilliamsLibrary  
 @jimsbooksreadingandstuff  
 @TwelveMonthsofChristmas  
 @marianhreads  
 @ReadingIDEAS.-uz9xk  

1 comment:

Futami-chan said...

My upbringing for one was peculiar - if I didn't go out of my way to socialize with other people, my family will scream at me like some animal until I chime in with them; but then when I chimed in with a group out of my own volition or not, the group will tell me off. Hard to know what is supposed to be for me or not when I keep being screamed in and screamed out - combine that with a culture that insists students have to do the hardest math exercises for no reason [1] and then make an issue with them managed to solve before the lecture for it is taught.

I'm not sure if giving introductory background is ever at all needed. Those already had an interest would do anything it takes to understand what they want. But then again giving some background is what I do on the English internet most of the time anyway. Maybe the very basic reason for that being I do not want my comments to come across as being completely incomprehensible, which likely would be if I still communicate in the same way my own kinds do (I live in a non-Western and partly Sinic country).

[1] There are two things people where I live always love exclaiming: their high STEM scores, and their lack of understanding of the very STEM subjects they just had high scores of.