Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Board Race for Relative Clauses (the basic mechanics)

(TESOL Materials--Relative Clauses)

Google Drive: slides, pub

[Note: This is now the third board race I've made on relative clauses--the previous two board races are HERE and HERE.  However, those previous two board races were made for students who understood the basic idea of relative clauses, and just needed more practice.  This board race is for students who need practice with the basic formation of relative clauses.
I was teaching relative clause to a group of teen students, and I assumed that they knew the basics of relative clauses already, and that this lesson would be mostly review.  However, as the lesson progressed, I realized that they didn't know how to form relative clauses at all. So I devised a series of simple sentences based on similar situations, but in which I kept switching whether the relative pronoun refereed to the subject or the object of the relative clause.  I also switched up if the relative clause modified the subject or the object of the main sentence.
The first 8 slides in this board race are labelled "review" because they come from a presentation I had previously made on relative clauses.  The actual board race starts from slide 9.  As the board race progresses, I give feedback and reclarify where necessary.  By the end of the board race, they got it.
I also use this model text to teach the mechanics of relative clauses, and perhaps this board race works best after first going over the basics with this material.]

No comments: