Wednesday, January 02, 2019

2018 Movie Awards

(Year End Movie Awards)

1. Black Panther 6 Stars
2. A Goofy Movie 5 Stars
3. Avengers: Infinity War 9 Stars
4. Atlantis: The Lost Empire 4 Stars
5. Solo: A Star Wars Story 9 Stars
6. Incredibles 2  9 Stars
7. Ant-Man and the Wasp 6 Stars
8. Thor: The Dark World 4 Stars

Okay, same disclaimers I make every year. 
Firstly, this is a list of the movies I saw this past year, not a list of current movies.  Hence A Goofy Movie and Atlantis: The Lost Empire on the list.
Secondly, I'm not going to try to go back and re-evaluate everything.  The original ratings will still stand.  Even though, with the distance of time, now that my initial enthusiasm for the movies has cooled somewhat, it does strike me that I was probably to generous to a number of these movies.  But it's too much trouble to re-rate everything, so we'll just let the original ratings stand.
Rosa Luxemburg was January 1st of the new year, so we'll catch it on next year's wrap up.

Best Movie I Saw This Year
I gave 9 stars to 3 movies.  Infinity War, Solo, and Incredibles 2.
Solo I think I was too generous to.  I should have rated it lower.  Incredibles 2 had a lot of interesting stuff going on visually and stylistically, but in retrospect, the story wasn't great.
Infinity War was incredibly good at what it was doing.  Granted, what it was doing was just some stupid comic-book crossover movie.  But if that's all you wanted, this movie did that incredibly well--it positioned all the plot pieces excellently, it balanced a huge cast and gave adequate screen time to all its characters, it had great action scenes. 
I know we're all suffering from superhero fatigue a little bit right now, but you've got to admit, Infinity War did everything it wanted to do.
Best movie this year is Infinity War.

Worst Movie
I gave 4 stars to both Atlantis and Thor: The Dark World.
4 stars isn't actually terrible in my book.  Both of these movies were trying to do interesting things, but just failed in execution.
Atlantis was probably the worst of the two.  Some interesting ideas were present, but the characters were boring, and the plot made no sense.

Addendum: TV Shows
American Crime Story: The People v. O. J. Simpson

2018 Video Review Playlist HERE and embedded below:


Link of the Day

No comments: