Monday, November 20, 2017

Started: Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics by Jack C. Richards and Richard Schmidt (Third Edition)


I actually started studying this book two years ago.  But I'm doing a bit of housekeeping on my reading list, so I'm posting about it now.

Why am I reading this book?
This book is part of the recommending reading list for the DELTA Module 1.
I actually did the DELTA Module 1 back in June 2014 (Distance DELTA).
I decided I didn't want to do the rest of the DELTA by distance, so changed schools and moved from Phnom Penh to Saigon, where a school in Saigon was offering the full DELTA.
I applied for the full DELTA in 2015, and decided that, even though I had already done Module 1, it wouldn't hurt me to start reviewing some of the vocabulary again.  I probably had forgotten some things over the course of a year.
That, plus... I had kind of been looking for an excuse to try out quizlet.
A co-worker had recommended quizlet to me, and I had been using it a lot for my students.
But it seemed like such an effective study tool--such a good way to memorize vocabulary--that I didn't want my students to have all the fun.  I was looking for a way to try it out for myself, and re-visiting the DELTA Module 1 vocabulary seemed like a good way to start.

Anyway, long story short, the school in Saigon cancelled their DELTA program.  So at this point, I still haven't gotten around to applying for the DELTA elsewhere.  But in the meantime, I've been trying my best to keep reviewing all the vocabulary, and keep it fresh in my memory.  Below are all my quizlet quizzes.

I decided to keep with the same technique I had been using for my students on the Academic Word List--start with 5 words, and then every time, go up by 5 words after that.
Initially I was hoping to create a resource on quizlet that would be useful for other people--probably other language teachers studying for the DELTA.
But over the course of these quizzes, I got so inconsistent that I'm afraid in the end this would just be confusing for anyone else.
Initially, I started matching the term and the definition.
However, after doing this for a while, I discovered that even though I was completing all the quizlet quizzes, I wasn't really learning the words thoroughly.
Instead of "learning" the definition, I was just recognizing the first few key words of the definition, and then typing in the answer.  It was enough to let me get all the scores on quizlet, but not enough to thoroughly learn the word.
So then I experimented with making myself type out the definition.  But that proved to be too hard.
Because quizlet is only a computer program, it can't recognize when you've got the right idea.  It can only recognize when you've got exactly the right words.  So you need to type the definition out perfectly to get the points.  Change one word, and you get it wrong.
So then I decided to try to memorize the definition by 3 words at a time.
Eventually I just gave up on this, and went back to the old system of just matching the word to the definition.  (I figure just the act of typing out the definition should be some form of study, even if it doesn't perfectly go into my long term memory).
Anyway, below are my first 64 sets (From AAE to articulatory phonetics), up to 320 words.
I've actually kept going with several more sets, but after 320 I started combing Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics with another book: Practical English Usage by Michael Swan.  So every study set after that is the two books combined.
I'll deal with Practical English Usage by Michael Swan in my next post. (UpdateLongman Dictionary of Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics and Practical English Usage here.)

Quizlet Folder HERE

* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 5 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 10 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 15 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 20 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 25 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 30 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 35 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 40 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 45 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 50 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 55 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 60 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 65 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 70 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 75 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 80 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 85 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 90 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 95 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 100 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 105 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 110 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 115 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 120 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 125 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 130 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 135 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 140 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 145 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 150 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 155 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 160 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 165 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 170 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 175 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 180 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 185 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 190 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 195 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 200 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 205 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 210 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 215 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 220 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 225 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 230 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 235 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 240 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 245 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 250 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 255 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 260 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 265 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 270 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 275 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 280 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 285 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 290 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 295 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 300 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 305 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 310 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 315 words
* Longman Dictionary of Language Teaching & Applied Linguistics-first 320 words

No comments: