Wednesday, September 25, 2013

From Salon.com
The NSA illegally hacks the United Nations: The surveillance agency allegedly successfully cracked the UN's internal video–conferencing system

****************************************************
And from the Phnom Penh Post: Barricades to stay in place for days: gov’t
Manned barricades that dotted the city yesterday, strangling traffic along Norodom, Sothearos and other key thoroughfares, will remain in place through tomorrow, the government announced.
Yesterday, many residents and commuters expressed frustration over the razor wire blockades which caused traffic jams and prevented access to central areas around the National Assembly, the prime minister’s house and the Royal Palace.


...I was out and about a bit yesterday.  No violence in the city that I could see, but man, they were not following around with those barricades--razor wire, riot police, military men with machine guns, the whole works.
Some of the barricades were erected near the tourist or the expat areas, as these areas are close to the Parliament.  Yesterday I really wanted to eat a breakfast burrito from a popular expat restaurant, so I had to pass through a barricade checkpoint.  There was a small place where the military where allowing people to pass through single file between the razor wire, so I waited in line to get through with everyone else.
It was the most trouble I've ever gone through to get a burrito.  As I was passing through the barricades under the eye of the armed military, I thought to myself, "Boy, the trouble I go to just in order to avoid having to cook for myself..."

No comments: