Monday, February 25, 2008

Calvin Videos 1

(retrospection)




Since converting our old VHS tapes to DVD last summer, here's a clip from the Calvin files. (Is it just my computer, or has google video been pretty touch and go lately? If you have any trouble playing this video, I've also loaded the same clip onto youtube here).

This is sometime in the Spring of 1997. I don't remember the time any better than that. Brett had been talking for a while about all the cool things we could do if only we had a video camera. At the same time, my family had recently gotten a new slick hand held video camera, so I asked if I could have use of the old one. (One of those big clunky video camera's from the late 80s that you had to rest on your shoulder).

This is the first thing we tapped on it. We didn't really know what we were doing, and we were just trying to figure out how to use the thing. (I shouldn't say that. It implies we got better over time.)
This was on the tail end of a Swagman family video tape, which is why the first couple seconds you can hear some confusion over who is supposed to press which red button. Then we cut into my dorm room freshmen year, where the BB King music is playing.

Next several of my things are stolen (first my back pack, then my shoes) and I am running around trying to catch them.

It has been said video never really captures real life, because people act different when the camera is on. Which is partly true. But in our case, this is more or less how we spent Freshmen year. The music is very typical of what we listened to, especially after I hooked up with Brett and Cecil and their musical tastes.
The fake punches and reactions are something we spent more time doing than I like to admit back then. (I can't help wondering now if there was some better way I could have spent that time).

The shoe relay, when the boys would steal something of mine and run through the dorms, handing it off to each other and me running always two steps behind, was so famous several people wanted to put it on our floor t-shirts at the end of the year. It was good exercise for me. (We ended up going with a different theme on the T-shirts, although I can't remember what that was now).

Link of the Day
A Military Recruiter Articulates a Justification for the Iraq War

1 comment:

inertbat said...

Oh the college days... sometimes I think I'd study more if I could do it all over again, but deep down I know I wouldn't.