Wednesday, February 18, 2004

Bird Flu hits Oita
Bird flu has been found in Oita prefecture in Kokonoe, a town not directly boarding Ajimu, but close enough so that Ajimu is in the radius of towns at risk. Yesterday we had bird flu inspectors come to inspect the chickens in Ajimu. Announcements were heard on the town loudspeakers all day forbidding the buying, selling, or transporting of poultry products.
So far nothing has been found in Ajimu, but on the advice of my co-workers at the board of Education, I threw away the remainder of my carton of eggs.
Also, you may not know this, but American beef is currently banned in Japan until the whole mad cow disease gets sorted out. All this is making me reconsider the merits of vegetarianism. In fact, I think I would have become a vegetarian a long time ago, if meat weren't so damn tasty.
Anyway, I'm sure you're all concerned about my health. I'll keep you updated on this web log.
Day 1
Still feeling good. A slight cough and a runny nose, but I think it's just a small cold. Circulation seems to be normal, and no notable sicknesses yet.

No comments: