Sunday, September 15, 2024

Recently, I've stumbled upon a niche group of Youtube channels that make parody vintage songs using AI.  (I know.  Once again, I'm late to the party.)
Anyway, these parody AI songs are surprisingly good. And I've got mixed feelings about it.  I don't know whether to be delighted or depressed.
I mean, on the one hand, I can totally see where this is a lot of fun.  These songs are really funny, and they actually sounds really good.  (Like, it took me a while to realize that these weren't genuine lost vintage songs--that these were AI generated parodies.)
[The comments for each video, in which commenters play along with the conceit and claim to remember these oldies from back in the day, is half the fun as well.]
On the other hand...  I'm really not sure if I like the idea of computers making songs.  Part of me thinks that something about the inherent appeal of music is listening to another human.  If I know that that the breathy soulful vocals are a computer, instead of a human like James Brown, is it as meaningful?
And like everyone else, I'm now envisioning a possible future where a lot of the music we listen to is produced by AI.  And I'm not sure I like that idea.

Anyway, here are a few of the gems I've stumbled upon. 








No comments: