Tuesday, July 11, 2023

I was just now checking on an old post of mine in which the original link had stopped working and, a couple months ago,  I had updated the link in the comments.
My comments were gone.
So, on the my blogger dashboard, I checked my comments, and went into the spam folder, and, not only had that comment been moved into spam, a lot of comments from the past 15 years had recently been moved to spam.
These were comments that had been on this blog for many years, but Blogger must have recently changed its policies, because they all got moved to spam.
It looks like comments that contain swear words in them, and comments that contained links, were targeted.  
Although there were also several comments that appeared to fit neither of these categories, and I was mystified as to why they had been moved to spam.
Most of these comments were harmless.  Fortunately, they were not lost forever.  Blogger allowed me to restore the comments I wanted by just clicking "not spam" on them.
This, combined with my recent experience of a 2005 post being flagged for having a dead link, makes me think Google is tightening up its monitoring of blogs.  I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing?  But if you uses blogger, maybe check your spam comments.

Also, I don't  know if this is related, but I stopped getting notification of new comments in my email inbox.  I can still see the new comments when I go to http://blogger.com/ website, but it's not as convenient as getting them in my inbox.  I wonder if this is also part of their retooling.

No comments: