Sunday, October 04, 2020

I got into an interesting discussion with Whisky Prajer on the legacy of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down", so I thought I'd share the link for anyone else who was interested, and perhaps wanted to join in the discussion.
Whisky's post HERE.  (See the comment thread at the end for our discussion.)
Required reading before joining in: 
From Rolling Stone: Can ‘The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down’ Be Redeemed?
From Slate: The Troublesome Case of “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down”


One thing I discovered the past couple days while doing some reading about this song is that a lot of fans of The Band don't like the Joan Baez cover of this song.  But for my money, Joan Baez's version is the best, so I'm happy to add this to my list of sharing music I like.

1 comment:

Whisky Prajer said...

Somebody please explain the fans of The Band to me -- I'm with you, Joel, Baez's cover is my preference also. And I enjoyed our back-and-forth -- thank you for that.