Tuesday, January 01, 2019

2018 Book Awards

(Year End Book Awards)



1. The Civil Wars by Appian of Alexandria March 5, 2018
2. The Language Myth by Vyvyan Evans, March 14, 2018
3. A Framework for Task-Based Learning by Jane Willis , May 27, 2018
4. Speaking by Martin Bygate,  July 2, 2018
5. The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury , July 11, 2018
6. Palace of Desire by Naguib Mahfouz , July 20, 2018
7. The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer, September 5, 2018
8. Sugar Street by Naguib Mahfouz, September 18, 2018
9. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, October 8, 2018
10. Teaching Unplugged by Luke Meddings and Scott Thornbury, October 9, 2018
11. An A-Z of ELT by Scott Thornbury (First Edition), October 18, 2018
12. English Phonetics and Phonology: A Practical Course by Peter Roach [Fourth Edition], October 20, 2018
13. The Wilful Princess and the Piebald Prince by Robin Hobb, December 1, 2018
14. The Enchanted Castle by Edith Nesbit, December 18, 2018
15. Coming Up for Air by George Orwell December 20, 2018

Not listed--1 children's book and 7 comic books that I used as Graded Readers in the classroom: HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE.
Two books for the professional development bookclub that don't count because they were actually re-reads: HERE and HERE.
Also Claudius the God and A Handmaid's Tale, which I finished reading, but haven't yet written book reviews for.  (I guess those will get counted in next year's round-up.  Although I did finish the video review for Claudius the God HERE).

It's a short list this year, so not a lot of competition.
Best Fiction

Palace of Desire by Naguib Mahfouz and Sugar Street by Naguib Mahfouz
Although it's a short list this year, I have a tough time deciding.  Really loved The Cairo Trilogy, but also really loved Coming Up for Air.  (The Martian Chronicles was pretty good too).
In the end though, The Cairo Trilogy was the most immersive reading experience, and so looms largest in my mind.  I'll have to give it to the two Cairo Trilogy Books I read this year.




Worst Fiction
I don't know... There were elements of Americanah I disliked, but probably not enough to merit giving it the worst.  No worst for this year.

Best Non-Fiction
The Civil Wars by Appian of Alexandria

So, admittedly this book wins by default.  It's the only non-fiction I read this year.  (I'm counting books for professional development in a separate category.)
And yet, it is a really great read.
All classic books present some challenges to the modern reader.  There were parts of this book that I found a slog.  But if you can make it through the slow parts, there is some really interesting stuff in here about the nature of power and republican governments.
Since I only did one non-fiction book this year, I guess there is no worst.

Best Book For Professional Development
It's always difficult to know what metric to use for this category.  The Language Myth was probably the most entertaining.   English Phonetics and Phonology was the most informative.  A Framework for Task-Based Learning has been the most useful in terms of my day-to-day lesson planning.  Teaching Unplugged was probably the most thought provoking.... I don't know.
Let's go with the most entertaining book.
The Language Myth by Vyvyan Evans
If you read my review, you'll know that I was critical of a lot of it.  But it was entertaining to read.


For all the video Reviews from 2018, see HERE



Link of the Day
Noam Chomsky - Reform or Revolution

No comments: